Monday, January 10, 2011

On Shepherding A Child's Heart (Intro)...

I have started reading Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp. I figured I would blog about every couple chapters about what God is teaching me as I read. After reading the first two chapters I am really excited about learning how to not simply correct behaviors but help God shape and mold my child’s heart in a way that would be pleasing to Him. This book is based on biblical truths and focuses on the heart.

I love in the preface when he mentions that as parents we are to display the Glory of God. This is huge! It reminds me of a sermon of John Pipers in which he states that before our children know God, we must be God to our children. Big responsibility right…I do believe it is the biggest. When I first heard that I thought it was absurd. How can a sinner like me be GOD to my child. Obviously we can’t literally be God, but we have the responsibility to be a loving and just ruler over our children until one day they follow a new…and much improved ruler…the God of this universe. We ultimately decide what is right and wrong and implement the punishment we deem appropriate (we are the authority). We need God’s guidance and help to make the right decisions and instruct in the right way.

There are a few places in the bible where God instructs children to obey their parents (Eph. 6:1-2 and Col. 3:20). God wants them to do it so I want to make sure that I, as a parent, instruct them in the way of the Lord.

You must direct your children on God’s behalf for their good.
(Tripp xix)

The introduction also introduces “the parenting task” which includes authority, shepherding, the centrality of the gospel, internalization of the gospel, and mutuality as people under God.

In a sense I am overwhelmed because I feel so weak. I am always encouraged by 2 Corinthians 12:9-10…

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why for Christ sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


So as I raise and discipline my children and face moments of hardship or difficulties I will remember this and if there is anything good in me it is Christ. May our boast be in Him.


Mandy

4 comments:

  1. I've only just begun this book and have been meaning to get back to it for some time now. You've given me inspiration. This is all to good and important to put off. Thanks for sharing. It has been a pleasure reading your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Great read! Inspirational and good reminder of our high call and blessing as parents. BTW- I read the book recently and am glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I actually just used this same passage in my blog today! You and Jon are wonderful parents, and I am so happy that you both are seeking God in raising Riley and Jeremiah. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete